Direct Care Professional – In-Home Care
UIRehab is seeking a compassionate, responsible, and reliable personal care assistants. As a Direct Care Professional, you are accountable to the Residential Coordinator and Group Home Manager assigned to the site in which you work. The Direct Care Professional position is relied upon for ethical implementation of services and support. You are delegated the authority, responsibility, and accountability necessary to carry out assigned duties and to respond to emergency situations. Since you will be working with people, you must be prepared to effectively deal with emergencies, assignments, hours of work, and philosophical commitment. Your actions will affect another person’s life, and it is expected you will be a positive role model. Since you will be interacting with numerous professionals on a frequent basis, you are expected to represent yourself and Universal Institute in a positive, professional manner at all times. You will be a part of the clients’ interdisciplinary team.
Universal Institute is a leading provider of rehabilitation and supportive-living services to individuals with brain and spinal cord injuries, and other neurological conditions. Our home and community-based platform offers Client-centered services with concentration of Activities of Daily Living and Community Reintegration. In addition to physical impairments, our population often has difficulty with attention, concentration, memory, organizational skills, perception, expressing feelings, and at times inappropriate behaviors. At UIRehab, our objective is to encourage our Clients to work toward their personal goals while developing and maintaining the self-assurance to live as independently as possible.
Listed below are the essential functions of your position. This list is not all inclusive and you will be required to perform other tasks as determined necessary by supervisory personnel:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists clients with activities of daily living (ADLS), medication management, personal hygiene and health, general housekeeping skills and food preparation.
- Provides direction, guidance, and supervision to clients.
- Assists in implementation of the Individual Service Plan (ISP).
- Serves as an active member of the Interdisciplinary Team by participating in team meetings and supporting clients’ treatment plans.
- Participates/attends monthly staff meetings.
- Cooperates effectively with staff, clients, families, and other members of the delivery systems.
- Maintains client confidentiality at all times.
- Assists with medication after successful completion of training on medication management.
- Ensures client safety by following all rules and regulations in accordance with Universal’s policy and procedures manual.
- Maintains cleanliness of group home.
- Works with rehabilitation patients with various disabilities including but not limited to Brain Injury, CVA, General Rehab, Acute/Chronic Neuro.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Maintains friendly and open demeanor at all times.
- Works well with a variety of different individuals.
- Possesses strong listening skills.
- Demonstrates patience and compassion.
- Communicates clearly and effectively.
- Possesses excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to think quickly and remain level-headed in an emergency.
- Basic math skills.
- Ability to work in a demanding situation, changing focus of work due to changing priorities.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and maintain responsibility for work performed.
- Ability to work flexible hours based on the needs of the group home.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of one year experience in health services field, direct care / working with individuals with traumatic brain injury preferred.
Requirements Relating to Position
- Must be able to drive UIRehab’s handicapped accessible transportation van.
- Must be physically able to assist clients in safe evacuation from the site in the event of an emergency within time frame specified by licensing requirements.
- Must be physically able to perform CPR and First Aid in the event of an emergency.
- Must be physically able to assist with lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling clients in wheelchair (100-300 lbs.)
- On a daily basis, almost constant physical and other interaction with brain injured individuals.
- On a daily basis, approximately 40% of time spend standing, 40% walking, and 20% sitting.
- Occasionally required to lift 150 lbs, carry 40 lbs, and push 150 lbs.
- Occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and reach.
- Must be able to speak, hear, and see. Depth perception is required.
Involves regular interaction with a wide variety of unpredictable and often inappropriate conduct and comments by brain-injured individuals.
- Universal Institute offers a comprehensive employee benefit package including health, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance, 401(K) savings plan, pension plan, personal and sick days, vacation, and holidays. These benefits are available to all regular, full-time employees.
Standard Requirements of Employment
- To be considered for employment, all applicants must meet the standard minimum requirements:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Must have a valid PA/NJ Driver’s License with a clean driving record.
- Prior to employment, all new hires must complete:
- Physical and Mantoux test.
- Exclusion Check.
- Criminal History Background Check –
- PATCH Background Check (two year PA residents)
- FBI Background Check (non-PA residents)
EOE/M/F/D/V/SO Universal Rehabilitation and Fitness Institute Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
We would love to hear from you!
If you have a passion for learning new things, sharing your knowledge with others, and recognize that a positive attitude is what matters most, UIRehab might be the right place for you. To apply for this opportunity, please share your interest by completing the information below.