Medical Director (M.D. or D.O.)
UIRehab is seeking a versatile, knowledgeable, and skilled Physician to provide clinical leadership to our Interdisciplinary Medical Management Team.
Universal Institute is a leading provider of rehabilitation and supportive-living services to individuals with brain and spinal cord injuries, and other neurological conditions. Our home and community-based platform offers Client-centered services with concentration of Activities of Daily Living and Community Reintegration. In addition to physical impairments, our population often has difficulty with attention, concentration, memory, organizational skills, perception, expressing feelings, and at times inappropriate behaviors. At UIRehab, our objective is to encourage our Clients to work toward their personal goals while developing and maintaining the self-assurance to live as independently as possible.
Listed below are the essential functions of your position. This list is not all inclusive and you will be required to perform other tasks as determined necessary by supervisory personnel:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides clinical/medical oversight, consultation, client assessments, and education to address quality of client care.
- Collaborates with UIRehab leadership, staff, other practitioners/consultants, to help develop, implement, and evaluate resident care policies/procedures that reflect current standards of practice.
- Identifies, evaluates, addresses and resolves medical/clinical concerns and issues.
- Provides physician oversight to interdisciplinary team.
- Continuous involvement in the case management of at-risk cases and medically necessary decisions.
- Follows high risk cases throughout treatment continuum during rehabilitation, outpatient, and other levels of care.
- Ensures that persons with severe or complex illnesses receive medically necessary coordinated care throughout the episode of treatment.
- Develops and implements a utilization management program and action plan, which includes strategies that ensure a high quality of clients care; ensuring that clients receive the most appropriate care.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of Universal practices and criteria. Assumes a leadership position relative to knowledge, implementation, training and supervision of the use of the medically necessary criteria.
- Along with UIRehab’s Clinical Team, implements clinical practice standards and policies and participates in management of activities.
- Develops, implements, and interprets medical policy and procedures.
- Develops effective working relationships with practitioners and treatment programs that may establish relationships and/or consult with clients’ outside supports.
- Confers directly with practitioners regarding the care of patients with complex neurological deficits through peer review and educational interventions.
- Identifies and immediately follows up any quality of care concerns with practitioners involved in the member’s care.
- Ensures that accreditation standards, state policies, and federal policies are implemented specific to each client.
- Works with teams on continuous quality improvement to ensure ongoing compliance.
- Collaborates with: Nurses (RN & LPN), Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Speech Therapists, Cognitive Therapists, and Interdisciplinary Teams.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Maintains friendly and open demeanor at all times.
- Works well with a variety of different individuals.
- Ability to create and cultivate open lines of communication with clinical team, administrators, Clients, practitioners, and other industry professionals.
- Possesses strong listening skills.
- Demonstrates patience and compassion.
- Communicates clearly and effectively.
- Possesses excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to think quickly and remain level-headed in an emergency.
Education and Experience
- The ideal physician will be either DO or MD, board certified in either Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, or PM&R. Knowledge and skills should include the diagnosis and treatment of neurological deficits.
- Training/experience in Rehabilitation Medicine.
- Current PA license to practice as a physician with no restrictions.
- Good standing under the laws of the state.
- Demonstrates appropriate experience or training to provide rehabilitation services through one of the following:
- A fellowship in rehabilitation for a minimum of one year.
- Has completed a one year hospital internship with a minimum of two years of training or experience as a collaborate team member in the medical management of inpatients requiring rehabilitation services.
- Must be physically able to assist clients in safe evacuation from the site in the event of an emergency within time frame specified by licensing requirements.
- Must be physically able to perform CPR and First Aid in the event of an emergency.
Involves regular interaction with a wide variety of unpredictable and often inappropriate conduct and comments by brain-injured individuals.
- Universal Institute offers a comprehensive benefit package including health, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance, 401(K) saving plan, pension plan, personal and sick days, vacation, and holidays. These benefits are available to all regular, full-time employees.
Standard Requirements of Employment
- To be considered for employment, all applicants must meet the standard minimum requirements:
- Must have valid PA/NJ Driver’s License with a clean driving record.
- Prior to employment, all new hires must complete:
- Physical and Mantoux test.
- Exclusion Check.
- Criminal History Background Check –
- PATCH Background Check (two year PA residents)
- FBI Background Check (non-PA residents)
EOE/M/F/D/V/SO Universal Rehabilitation and Fitness Institute Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
We would love to hear from you!
If you have a passion for learning new things, sharing your knowledge with others, and recognize that a positive attitude is what matters most, UIRehab might be the right place for you. For more information about this opportunity, please contact our Executive Director, Joanne L. Ward, OTR/L, directly at 610-625-4959 or email.