UIRehab is seeking a compassionate, responsible, and reliable personal care assistant to provide direct care services to our clients in the rehabilitation and day program from 8:00am – 4:30pm, Monday through Friday.
Universal Institute is a leading provider of rehabilitation and supportive-living services to individuals with brain and spinal cord injuries, and other neurological conditions. Our home and community-based platform offers Client-centered services with concentration of Activities of Daily Living and Community Reintegration. In addition to physical impairments, our population often has difficulty with attention, concentration, memory, organizational skills, perception, expressing feelings, and at times inappropriate behaviors. At UIRehab, our objective is to encourage our Clients to work toward their personal goals while developing and maintaining the self-assurance to live as independently as possible.
Listed below are the essential functions of your position. This list is not all inclusive and you will be required to perform other tasks as determined necessary by supervisory personnel:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists clients with therapy and structured day program activities as well as hygiene, toileting, transfers, and mealtime activities. This includes following proper body mechanics when assisting clients and performing duties.
- Follows all dietary restrictions, medical, behavioral, and general safety precautions.
- Assists clients with following their schedules and assisting during therapy sessions as directed by treating therapist.
- Monitors client’s performance during rehab and day program and reports any significant issues to the program supervisor and/or treating therapist.
- Utilizes the time when clients are not in therapy to encourage clients to engage in recreational activities with peers or engage in productive use of time.
- Facilitates client’s participation in recreational activities.
- Assists and follows behavioral protocols for all clients. Responds appropriately when deescalating clients, or assisting them with emergency situations.
- Supervises clients for safety. This includes ensuring that clients are wearing seat belts in wheelchairs and having a good understanding of the basic functions of both the standardized wheelchair and motorized wheelchair and other mobility devices. Familiarity with different types of seat belt buckles and rationale behind their use.
- Assists with safe evacuation during emergency situations.
- Administers/documents medication at all times when certified by DDD to do so. This includes applying ointment if needed while changing/toileting clients.
- Maintains all required documentation.
- Follows state laws and regulations as well as Universal Institute’s policies and procedures as outlined in the employee handbook, policy and procedure manual, and Department of Rehabilitation operations manual.
- All staff should be alert and observant while working with all clients. Knowledge and understanding of seizures and other medical protocols set in place for specific clients.
- Attends monthly meetings provided by supervisor and adjusts accordingly to any changes provided regarding work responsibilities and clients’ needs.
- Assists the clients in all l areas of care on scheduled community outings.
- Assists clients with outerwear and personal clothing when they arrive and depart from the day program.
- Assists in other areas of the rehabilitation and day program as needed for staff coverage.
- Accompanies clients to the emergency room or medical appointments at all times necessary.
- Maintains cleanliness and general organization of working areas, equipment, and supplies.
- Reports to supervisor any equipment that needs repair or any potential hazardous situations.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Maintains friendly and open demeanor at all times.
- Works well with a variety of different individuals.
- Possesses strong listening skills.
- Demonstrates patience and compassion.
- Communicates clearly and effectively.
- Possesses excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to think quickly and remain level-headed in an emergency.
- Basic math skills.
- Ability to work in a demanding situation, changing focus of work due to changing priorities.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and maintain responsibility for work performed.
- Ability to work flexible hours based on the needs of the group home.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of one year experience in health services field, direct care / working with individuals with traumatic brain injury preferred.
Requirements Relating to Position
- Must be able to drive UIRehab’s handicapped accessible transportation van.
- Must be physically able to assist clients in safe evacuation from the site in the event of an emergency within time frame specified by licensing requirements.
- Must be physically able to perform CPR and First Aid in the event of an emergency.
- Must be physically able to assist with lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling clients in wheelchair (100-300 lbs.)
- On a daily basis, almost constant physical and other interaction with brain injured individuals.
- On a daily basis, approximately 40% of time spend standing, 40% walking, and 20% sitting.
- Occasionally required to lift 150 lbs, carry 40 lbs, and push 150 lbs.
- Occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and reach.
- Must be able to speak, hear, and see. Depth perception is required.
Involves regular interaction with a wide variety of unpredictable and often inappropriate conduct and comments by brain-injured individuals.
- Universal Institute offers a comprehensive employee benefit package including health, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance, 401(K) savings plan, personal and sick days, vacation, and holidays. These benefits are available to all regular, full-time employees.
Standard Requirements of Employment
- To be considered for employment, all applicants must meet the standard minimum requirements:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Must have a valid PA/NJ Driver’s License with a clean driving record.
- Prior to employment, all new hires must complete:
- Physical and Mantoux test.
- Exclusion Check.
- Criminal History Background Check –
- PATCH Background Check (two year PA residents)
- FBI Background Check (non-PA residents)
EOE/M/F/D/V/SO Universal Rehabilitation and Fitness Institute Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
We would love to hear from you!
If you have a passion for learning new things, sharing your knowledge with others, and recognize that a positive attitude is what matters most, UIRehab might be the right place for you. To apply for this opportunity, please share your interest by completing the information below.
|Job Category||All, Rehabilitation, Support staff|